My Drinking History: Over four decades of mostly problem drinking, five drunken-related arrests in my 20s (the early 80s), of abstinence and binge-drinking, of trying moderation and usually-or-often failing, of being immersed in almost every other recovery group out there, but of being mostly sober.

Monday, July 27, 2015

4. Make an extensive list of the problems drinking has caused you, and the benefits you expect from moderation, to strengthen your resolve.

One of my sources of help and support (I have three) is Moderation Management.

I just read this one in the Guide To Change PDF and want to answer it for myself.
"So think about areas such as: your inner feelings, relationships with others, work issues, physical health, your finances, any legal issues, and spare time or recreation."

Note: It's interesting that MM says:
"For Women: Not more than 9 drinks per week, and not more than 3 per occasion. Do not drink on more than 3-4 days per week. A pace of not more than one drink per half hour."
Because that's more than I ultimately want to drink! So, now I have to think about if I want to allow myself to drink that much for now?
I'd rather drink 4 or 5 drinks in a session than drink 3 to 4 times per week. I'd rather drink once or twice a week, 2 - 5 drinks ..... twice a week, no more than 9 drinks. I then want to taper down to once per week 1 - 5 drinks.

An Extensive List Of The Problems Drinking Has Caused Me

I'm not sure if it's in my best interests to drag up the distant past on this one? Seems that might be more damaging than helpful? And my drinking now compared to my drinking as a youth is almost like night and day. (wow! that means I have made progress!)

That being said, I think it's smart and fair to go back as far as a decade ago, just in case those problems manifest again; in other words, if I'm not careful they could.

Main problem:  drinking and driving
Second main problem:  drunk dialing (seem to be mastering this one though)
Other problems:
my health
getting the timing wrong for when it's appropriate to drink
not being emotionally available for loved ones
when drinking interferes with any plans I may have
the way I feel about myself the next day
the way I feel physically the next day
spending money I shouldn't be spending on booze

Other problem: The way I have already taught loved ones to think about me when it comes to my drinking. I didn't know any better so I taught them all I knew, which was that I was an alcoholic who could never drink again. How Are They Supposed To Think And Feel When They Think I'm Drinking Now? !


The Benefits I Expect From Moderation

Having A Balanced, Integrated Life