My Drinking History: Over four decades of mostly problem drinking, five drunken-related arrests in my 20s (the early 80s), of abstinence and binge-drinking, of trying moderation and usually-or-often failing, of being immersed in almost every other recovery group out there, but of being mostly sober.

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Holy Moly I May Have Found Something That Will Change My Life!

Maybe even save my life!

And I owe it all to Dr. Flynn and GodGoddessUniverse!
And the work I've been doing; the very hard work!

And what is this miracle, you ask?

EDIBLES!

Specifically, the brand new CBD/THC Candy Hearts!



Substance-free yesterday, just a few sucks on a Candy Heart at 5 p.m. (then saved the rest) made me feel un-buzzed but totally relaxed, happy, and stress-free, and lasted at least five hours, cuz then I went to bed.

Dr. Flynn is my medical cannabis MD. I've met him twice. The first time was in January 2015, and the second time was April 2016. I get my annual "permission slip" (LOL) to use medical cannabis.

Last year I told him one of the things I hoped to gain from weed was curbing my drinking. As I've written about a lot, it's not been working out that way for me (everyone is different), and that I only like to use pot after I've been drinking.

When I met with him this year.... and, you should get a visual of the waiting room: mostly professional people, and some non-professionally dressed people, none of them high; meaning cannabis is so totally legit and wonderful....  I shared that I would really love to learn how to use cannabis more and alcohol less, but that I've been getting my drinking down regardless. And that smoking pot (vape pen) makes me sleepy if I don't drink alcohol.

Dr. Flynn talked to me about using edibles more and about micro-dosing, which is a thing that's catching on. Taking a tiny amount of whatever strain you prefer (CBD or THC or both) throughout the day. And that even he does this sometimes.

Since I prefer CBD (body high) over THC (head high), unless I'm drinking, I avoid edibles, as my dispensary only sells THC edibles. UNTIL NOW! : )

I can easily see myself turning to Candy Hearts instead of booze on days I need help but don't want to drink. Either that or using the tinctures I have. (I also have a THC tincture.) And I have been using CBD tincture sporadically by itself for stress or anxiety, but now I'll probably use it more.


I must have required more coaching or something before I was willing or able to make the change. I'm starting to become more trusting and confident in the whole med weed scene, and certainly in this doctor. He's a very intelligent gent too.

Maybe now, despite anything unbearable going on in my life, I'll be able to drink only once or twice a week again like I want to do, just for pleasure, and to drink more moderate amounts again also.

Here is a partial chart of what cannabis treats: