My Drinking History: Over four decades of mostly problem drinking, five drunken-related arrests in my 20s (the early 80s), of abstinence and binge-drinking, of trying moderation and usually-or-often failing, of being immersed in almost every other recovery group out there, but of being mostly sober.

Friday, May 6, 2016

And Now For Something COMPLETELY Different!

I just posted this on an old post of mine at The 30-Day Sobriety Solution forum (link in right margin). It's an update to THIS!: jayarainbowangel.blogspot.com/i-had-to-look-really-deep-to-figure-it-out
I'm Breaking My VOW!

Forum Post:

Oh Dear! There's no way to EDIT my posts! Guess they are too old to edit!

I have a MAJOR update! I've decided to break my Vow of Never Doing An Abs-30!

Starting today I am starting The 30-Day Sobriety Solution over, and starting today I am not going to drink alcohol for 30 days!

I woke up this morning wanting to give myself this Gift and this Challenge. I want to know what it feeeels like to do a 30! (I've only ever "quit drinking for good" before!)

My intention is to be become a consistent moderate drinker.

I ALSO want to trust my doctor and turn to medical cannabis more, and to learn to prefer it over alcohol, because it's only healthy and healing for me. He talked to me about micro-dosing with edibles or tinctures; not to get high but to ease anxiety and stress and symptoms of my illnesses.

With alcohol safely out of the way for 30 days, I won't be distracted by it and I can focus on sobriety just using cannabis lightly and sporadically. I may or may not want to use it some nights to get high.

I don't see myself RELYING on cannabis because I always have and still do prefer being substance-free. Which is why my definition of Sobrietist is to keep substance use moderate. Everyone has to define what sobriety is for them.

I'm looking forward to restarting this journey, and I'm also fearful, and I do now see it as IMPERATIVE to give up drinking while doing the program (CultAA be damned!). In the past few months I haven't progressed as far as I prefer in controlling my drinking.

Jaya