My Drinking History: Over four decades of mostly problem drinking, five drunken-related arrests in my 20s (the early 80s), of abstinence and binge-drinking, of trying moderation and usually-or-often failing, of being immersed in almost every other recovery group out there, but of being mostly sober.

Friday, November 27, 2015

May The Curse Be Broken !

The day after I snail-mailed the following letter to my ex-mother, ex-sister, and ex-brother (ex-father is deceased), I've been alternating, effortlessly and easily and enjoyably, between 0 drinks and 2 drinks; every other day; 0 one day, 2 the next; four days in a row now. That is quite a change from 6 - 8 drinks and only one or two abstinence days a week; for the past few weeks.

It feels appropriate to call it a "curse" that's lifted.

And Thanksgiving was sooo much fun with my little family. The four of us Love spending time together, especially on Christmas and Thanksgiving. : )  Yummy, healthy eats, then in the evening we watched the final Lord of the Rings movie while each sipping on a margarita; my first attempt at making those. Then cherry pie. (One margarita = 3 oz. of tequila = 2 shots/drinks. I didn't use triple sec, I used agave nectar.)

I really do feel like something major has shifted or lifted from my being and I feel happy and at peace again at long last. Now THATs some Powerful Writing! Here's the letter, snail-mailed inside my beautiful hand-made mandala cards for healing. A copy of the picture of my FOO (family of origin) and me was included.
____________________________________________________

11/21/15

May You Be Blessed. May You Be Healed.

Dear FOO (family of origin) ~

            For what it's worth, I feel compelled to write you this letter. There's absolutely nothing more important than family; whether that be birth family or extended family. Our story is a tragic one, that is, for me it is. The emotional suffering I am experiencing is unbearable and the worst pain I have ever known. To have your mother (and the rest of you, and all your relatives) turn her back on you, minimize the abuse by my father, deny the abuse by her, and call me crazy because of what ALL of it did to me...  How Does A Person Live With This ??? Richard says NO mother would turn her back on her child if she loved her.

            Profound, healing books, such as the one I've been begging you all to read for decades, "The Courage To Heal" by Ellen Bass and Laura Davis, as well as many other books about abuse, as well as every therapist I've ever talked to, say that THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR A PARENT TO MINIMIZE OR DENY ANY ABUSE OF HER CHILD. And so, that is where are left, for that is exactly what is happening to me. And, dear souls, that ain't love.

            I just needed to get this out of me and onto you where it belongs.

From my book:

“We forgive by letting go of blame and opening to the pain we have tried to push away.”
   ~  Tara Brach

And:

"We are told"..."that until we forgive we will never heal. We forget that forgiveness is a grieving process that often includes the expression and release of negative emotions, especially disappointment and anger. It's no use trying to avoid these painful feelings. Forgiveness that is insincere, forced, or premature can be more psychologically damaging than authentic bitterness and rage." ~ Sharon Salzberg.

            This is where I'm at. My goal, my desire, my intention has never wavered my entire life: Only to bring Truth, Communication, Forgiveness, Healing, and Understanding to my FOO and me.

            You've finally gotten through to me by finally showing me your true colors; that that is NEVER EVER going to happen. So, I will continue working on healing my life, and on forgiveness, as an orphan.

            You are not welcome to contact any of us again unless it's to (also from my book):

·         Own your “stuff”
·         Validate the person’s feelings
·         Explain to understanding
·         Apologize when needed

            I am readily and easily willing and able to own "my" stuff; to take responsibility for my mistakes and actions, to apologize and all the rest of it --- always have been always will be. That's another way I am completely different from all of you.

           
Thank you for showing me what I was never meant to become.
Thank you for teaching me what I am strong enough to survive.