My Drinking History: Over four decades of mostly problem drinking, five drunken-related arrests in my 20s (the early 80s), of abstinence and binge-drinking, of trying moderation and usually-or-often failing, of being immersed in almost every other recovery group out there, but of being mostly sober.

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Humans Seem To Need Moderation So Let's Embrace That

Quote from The 30 Day Sobriety Solution:

""We accept the love we think we deserve." Stephen Chbosky's quote from his book, and later the movie, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, is brilliant in its simplicity, yet it doesn't apply just to love. You also accept the sobriety you think you deserve. If you don't think you deserve to be sober or you don't think you deserve to thrive in sobriety, you will never attract it or accept it in your life. You might get close to reaching the coveted thriving-in-sobriety state of mind, but then self-sabotage will inevitably kick in."


We seem, as human beings, to require moderation in all things in order to be happy and to thrive.

So, I suppose, the sooner we accept and embrace that.... and, say, give up our primal or carnal desires to drink ourselves silly, for example  (although, that formula seemed to work just fine in my youth!), the sooner we will truly find happiness and peace. : )


As I'm continuing in my journey with the 30 Day Solution (link in right margin), I'm loving yesterday's theme which was about love and forgiveness for self and others. It's key to everything. It's key to healing and lasting sobriety.

I've discovered that for my needs at this time, I don't need to do an Abs-30 because the program is helping me drink within my moderation plan of 0-4.

I've already achieved so much alcohol-free time in my life; as a matter of fact, more alcohol-free time than drinking time when you calculate it all up.

Soooo, I'll stay in Rachel Maddow's camp of staying an "Alcohol Enthusiast" ---- I can't imagine for one second her ever giving up booze for 30 days! HaHa!