My Drinking History: Over four decades of mostly problem drinking, five drunken-related arrests in my 20s (the early 80s), of abstinence and binge-drinking, of trying moderation and usually-or-often failing, of being immersed in almost every other recovery group out there, but of being mostly sober.

Monday, January 18, 2016

Powerful Medicine

An Exercise from SARK from the Succulent Wild Body Cleanse.
Of course mine (my choice) was about drinking!
This was a private exercise not shared, as all the exercises are.
I want to share it with You!


Wise Self Gladly Speaks

1) Identify and invite your loudest inner critic (Perfectionist, Pusher, etc.)

    Pusher (and Perfectionist).

   See the Pusher and Perfectionist join you and sit in a chair in a different part of the room.

2) Ask this critic to reveal its list of concerns and complaints. Calmly take notes. Ask clarifying questions if you don't understand.

    "You can't drink moderately. You are an alcoholic. Your cravings and desires to drink up to 7 drinks are too strong to deny. You are a writer and writer's drink too much. Drinking too much is the only way you can feel satisfied. Drinking too much is the only way you can either celebrate something properly or escape from something properly. I Want More Booze! I Want Lots And Lots Of Booze And Pot! I Demand As Much Alcohol And Pot As I Want And Choose!"

3) Thank, honor and acknowledge this critic for all it has done for you.

   Thank You! Thank You Pusher/Perfectionist! Because of YOU I GET to be a drinker! When I was always told by CultAA that I couldn't! And thank you for keeping me on my toes and aware of how diligent and careful I must be so that I do not spiral out of control---which I am NOT doing! And thank you for reminding me about the incorrect way I have always looked at myself so that I can better learn how to integrate you into my soul! And thank you for loving me the only way you know how to! And thank you for never leaving me! And know that I will never leave you either! Know that you are not going away! You are integrating into a better part of me/us!! I Love You! And Honey, SEE and KNOW and FEEL that I and my Inner Wise Self are now in charge!!! So YOU get to R E L A X at long last!!! : )

4) Give this critic a new job or assignment.

    Your new job, my Beloved Pusher/Perfectionist, who I shall name "Push," is Just B R E A T H E, Have Fun, Enjoy The Ride With Me As A Moderate Drinker, 0-3, sometimes 4, rarely 5 (for now, later I may tap it down!) : )  WANT that; that is your Phenomenal New Job! LOVE being a moderate drinker! Crave it! Desire it! THIS is Your New Job, my Love! This Is  A VERY IMPORTANT AND POWERFUL (yet fun and relaxing!) JOB FOR YOU! And I NEED You and I NEED Your Help! : ) And TOGETHER the two of us will grow stronger and stronger and more powerful and much happier and much healthier! : D REMINDER: If You/I Don't Achieve This I Will Have To By Choice Quit Drinking Altogether!

5) Transform and reframe that list of concerns and complaints and control and demands of that Pusher/Perfectionist. You will arrive at the Marvelous Messy Middle! The feelings and thoughts of the critic will be there but you won't be at one extreme or the other, you'll be in the middle. In other words, the feelings will be manageable.

     A list of how I've done it beautifully.

    I've already done it again and again and again, as you clearly know: moderate drinking! I drink 0-3 drinks often! I'm a healthy drinker! I'm free from alcoholism! I'm strong! I'm Powerful! I easily control my behavior! I Am A B.I.T.C.H! = Babe In Total Control of Herself! :D It's a myth that all writers drink too much and that belief in the present is a belief from the old paradigm! Writers today take very good care of themselves! Like SARK! And are into self love and self nurturing! And So Am I! ....And as you also know, I always have and always will use medical cannabis sparingly the days I imbibe in it. : )