My Drinking History: Over four decades of mostly problem drinking, five drunken-related arrests in my 20s (the early 80s), of abstinence and binge-drinking, of trying moderation and usually-or-often failing, of being immersed in almost every other recovery group out there, but of being mostly sober.

Friday, January 29, 2016

Key: Giving Up The All Or Nothing Thinking

Last year I had a major metamorphosis that transformed my drinking life forever.

I awakened to, and saw, how black and white my thinking was about drinking.



Then I worked on changing it, and I'm being successful because I never gave up.

No matter how sick I got in the night from over-drinking, no matter how bad my hangover was, no matter how much I hated myself for drinking too much again, no matter how much damage control I had to do the next day and how humiliated and embarrassed I felt, I NEVER ONCE entertained the idea of Quitting Drinking For Good, like I ALWAYS did previously (for over three decades). ....And this is GOOD because that kind of thinking/action of quitting drinking for good (because I believed I was an alcoholic) only worked for a while, and then I'd be back to drinking too much again.

This would be a GOOD place to insert a Brilliant Quote from a Great Thinker on this subject! But I don't seem to have one available right now! : )

The kinds of thoughts I have instead are a mixture.
My favorite is a steady stream of a mantra throughout the darkness of "I Love You" and "All Is Well" to my heart.
My other favorite mantra is, "I'm So Sorry"
And then there's the good ole standby, "I Hate You", cuz, let's face it, it's important to be honest.
And then I bring it back to "I Love You" once I've satisfied my need to hate on myself.
My inner child deserves ONLY Love and Praise.