My Drinking History: Over four decades of mostly problem drinking, five drunken-related arrests in my 20s (the early 80s), of abstinence and binge-drinking, of trying moderation and usually-or-often failing, of being immersed in almost every other recovery group out there, but of being mostly sober.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

More Of What It's Like For Me

It's like I'm two different people, and I know a lot of drinkers can relate.
I'm so enjoying my substance-free days, and had three in a row Friday-Sunday.
It's so easy for me, and I'm so grateful and happy about that.
Sometimes I wonder why I even want to drink at all!
But then there's my wild side that I truly want to honor and celebrate.
And she does love to party.

When I'm sober my life is so "normal" and rather sophisticated, and I'm kind of a square
When I party with booze and pot I get more in touch with my creative energy, and actually, I get pretty deep into deeper thoughts. My imagination always surprises and delights me, and my spirit will do anything to soar. I see the super subtle innuendos in life, like in TV shows, that I miss when sober. I often get clear about things, and insights. I like altering my consciousness.


I'm feeling pretty darn grounded in my Sobrietist plan at long last.--- But I'm not there yet.
The depression I was in has lifted, and the deep grieving I'm going through is lighter.
I'm being much more productive again, including doing spring cleaning and de-cluttering my house. : )

I'm not even totally sure why I drank yesterday because I didn't really want to; I want to wait until Friday or Saturday or Sunday to do my once-a-week drinking. Then I will feel truly guilt-free and confident. I feel I could have easily chosen to wait, even though it's been months since I've gone six or more days without drinking, and even though I was super stressed about something that happened (someone stole from me, possibly someone we know, and now I have to cancel our credit card; the one we use like cash, and is connected to many auto-payments), and even though I had my teeth cleaned which totally exhausts me due to the ME/CFS, and drinking gives me energy.

I guess I did it because I had given myself permission to drink twice a week, and because I had just gone three days substance-free, which is the longest I've gone for a while, I'm pretty sure.
(In 2014 I averaged drinking once a week. In 2015 when I got tangled up with my abusive FOO again--family of origin--my drinking started to progress, and was often a problem until I took the steps I needed to take to orphan myself again---once I finally got the whole truth about them.)
(But then, in addition to the depression and PTSD, a special personal relationship went sour due to the heavy drinking, and I continued to drink too much.)
(That friendship is well on the mend, thank God, and has become much more honest too.)

I drank more than I should have yesterday. More than the 6-pack. I'm going to work on that. I suffered in the night with anxiety, but I don't have a hangover due structuring my booze with Structured Water.

My former plan was to drink whenever I wanted but only drink 1-4 standard drinks, remember?
And I never drink every day; never have never will.
My current plan suits me better for now; drinking once a week, and it can be a 6-pack of O'Mission gluten-free beer if I want that much..... I simply love to get a good buzz and have a private party! Not all the time though. Sometimes I prefer to drink moderately.

This is all a process--this drinking journey--and I'm winging it. It's all so fascinating to me.


Everyone has to choose for themselves what moderation and sobriety is for them.



MODERATION IS KING!
MODERATION IS EVERYTHING!