My Drinking History: Over four decades of mostly problem drinking, five drunken-related arrests in my 20s (the early 80s), of abstinence and binge-drinking, of trying moderation and usually-or-often failing, of being immersed in almost every other recovery group out there, but of being mostly sober.

Friday, April 29, 2016

Well, THAT Was Fun!

What started out as a very possible disappointment in myself, turned into a master plan for this week!
It's interesting how flexible a drinking plan can allow one to be!
You know, as long as you are Keepin' It 100! Telling yourself the Truth!
Not easy to do if you're an addict, I know, but whether or not I was an addict before (probably was), I'm not now!

My drinking week starts on Mondays, and my drinking plan is to drink only twice a week, but that I can drink as much as I want those two days. (I'd been averaging 6 drinks.)

The first day that I drank this week was Tuesday, and I surprised myself by only drinking 4.5 drinks (standard drinks. it was a half pint of silver tequila.)
I was planning on drinking on Friday as my second day.

But yesterday, Thursday, I, for whatever reasons wanted to drink. I decided to go for it, but as I was driving to Bev Mo to get beer, I was full of anxiety, self-doubt, and self-disappointment. Going off my plan put me at risk for drinking perhaps a third day this week. Scary after coming off a drank-four-days-last-week experience due to overwhelming circumstances.

Was I going to fuck up this week and hate myself??

Nope! Hurray! Not at all!

By trusting myself and simply following through with my decision to drink yesterday, it suddenly became so clear!: Buy A 6-Pack Of Stone Delicious IPA (Gluten-Free) 7.7%-Alcohol Beer, And Drink Half On Thursday And Half On Friday! No harm no foul! Why? Because it was moderate drinking making it all average-out; making it so I didn't drink much more than my average 12 drinks a week. (I still want to get that number down.)

The thing about Stone Delicious IPA is that a 6-pack = 9 standard drinks! I'd never want to drink that much in one day anymore, and believe me, it almost never happened. It was so easy to drink only 3 of them yesterday = 4.5 standard drinks! And I get to enjoy the rest this evening, while, among other things, watching Real Time with Bill Maher!

It's easy not to drink on Saturdays or Sundays due to family goings-on(s)! Spending quality time with my awesome little family is always preferable over drinking!

Work Hard Within Your Means At Making Yourself Truly Happy !