My Drinking History: Over four decades of mostly problem drinking, five drunken-related arrests in my 20s (the early 80s), of abstinence and binge-drinking, of trying moderation and usually-or-often failing, of being immersed in almost every other recovery group out there, but of being mostly sober.

Friday, April 1, 2016

I Don't Even Know What To Say!

Life has been supremely rocky lately, extremely intense, downright emotional, and, well, painful and hard. And even though I noticed a significant drop in how much I would have drunk in the past during such grieving and crisis, I have been turning to alcohol to help. Cannabis too. But cannabis rocks and I really wish I preferred it over drinking! I still only use it after I've had a few drinks. Sometimes it helps me drink less and sometimes it makes me want to drink more. Sometimes, if it gives me the munchies, which is not always, I'll eat instead of drink more.

We all know that Stephen King successfully shifted from booze to pot, right? He's been living healthily that way for many years! His drinking problem was far more severe than mine and I understand why he needed and wanted to quit drinking.

I keep focusing on how much better my drinking is than it was before, and how I've been able to drink less without having to abstain from drinking for a long time first. I'm still benefiting greatly from The 30 Day Sobriety Solution (link in right margin), but I have explained in great detail in my blog why doing their "imperative" 30-days of abstinence is not a good idea for me. So, I'm doing things my way. I'm trusting myself enough to trust myself.

I don't drink every day, never have. My goal is to drink only once a week, and I delight in that idea because I love sobriety and substance-free days. I'm sooo interested in health, you know? Not to mention happiness!

When I make it to my goal, I'll probably want to have my next goal be drinking every-other week!

For now, I'm going to aim for drinking twice a week. I've already come really close to doing that as a habit, and achieved it once before the shit majorly hit the fan in my life.

It's not easy being a Highly Sensitive Person with a chronic illness that forces you to live in bed 20 hours a day! Booze is my meds, that is, I use it to self-medicate sometimes. That's certainly not the only reason I drink. I'm an "alcohol enthusiast" like Rachel Maddow. : )