My Drinking History: Over four decades of mostly problem drinking, five drunken-related arrests in my 20s (the early 80s), of abstinence and binge-drinking, of trying moderation and usually-or-often failing, of being immersed in almost every other recovery group out there, but of being mostly sober.

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Thanks, Kids!

My daughter and her friends indirectly taught me something last night when we all went to Stacked for her 21st birthday party dinner and drinks and dessert:

I'm Too Hard On Myself
And it stops NoW

I won't say how they taught me this; I would offend them! <wink>

So that's that!


Things get to change for me now that I've been through the final wringer with my FOO (family of origin), and I get to treat myself better than anyone has ever treated me. And I get to love myself more than anyone has ever loved me. And I get to stop judging myself and criticizing myself and ever treating myself poorly, especially when I make mistakes. I already know about myself that I own my stuff and I apologize when I err, unlike my FOO.

And as a bonus!: The more we love and respect ourselves and the better we treat ourselves, the better we treat others.

And like the song says, "In the end, only kindness matters." Jewel is right about that. Starting with kindness to self; learning self-care and self-nurturing.

Learning to be kind yet assertive with your enemies takes a lot of tactfulness and skill, doesn't it!

To My FOO:




To Me: