My Drinking History: Over four decades of mostly problem drinking, five drunken-related arrests in my 20s (the early 80s), of abstinence and binge-drinking, of trying moderation and usually-or-often failing, of being immersed in almost every other recovery group out there, but of being mostly sober.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

O Esophagus, My Esophagus!

"O Captain, my Captain!" ~ Dead Poets Society

Dearest Friend My Esophagus ~

         You decided for me last night that my Exempt Period (previous post) is over now! And I thank you! After all, of COURSE I'm strong enough to drink only moderately or abstain even though Valentines Day is still looming!

         You screamed in pain during my sleep last night to "wake me up", didn't you, esophagus? To say, "Hey, listen to me, you have over-done drinking for long enough, and I need your loving attention!"

         I'm blessed with a sensitive body (to many things; emotionally too), and one of them is my esophagus. I'm lucky, because if it were my liver it would take a hell of a longer period of time of drinking too much for it to notify me. As it is, my liver is healthy, and I intend on keeping it that way.

         So, after over two months of often drinking too much (in my case 5-7 standard drinks), you will hurt; the alcohol is irritating you, even with Structured Water in the drinks. Yes, we have asked the doctor about you, but she's not worried because the pain happens so rarely. Sometimes it happens (actually, it most often happens, a few times a year) when I swallow chicken! Dunno if that's a cosmic joke of some kind!

         Anyway, I love you my esophagus, my body, and myself enough to LISTEN to the signs and cues I'm given.

         I'm Very Excited And Grateful to make the decision, because of you, to not drink too much for a while! Hopefully a long while! And to end my Exempt Period early. And I will continue to change myself and my life and transition into a consistent moderate drinker of 0-4. Preferably, no more than 3, ultimately. Thankfully, my 8 ounces. of java in the mornings are AOK with you! : )

         Today will definitely be an enjoyable 0 day! : )

                                All My Love And Gratitude, Jaya

P.S. I'm very sorry for hurting you!!!



Keepin' it healthy!